The present Ballinamere National School was officially opened in 2005. It is located approximately 6km from Tullamore, just off the Rahan Road. The school consists of eight mainstream classes and an Autism Centre. There are fifteen teaching staff and twelve ancillary staff.
However it wasn’t always like this!
Folklore informs us that Darby Dunne taught a Hedge School in the Ballinamere area in the 19th century. His school was located about 150 metres from where the new school stands.
The first “official” school (pictured) in the immediate area was Ballycowan School which was on the banks of the Grand Canal between Ballycowan Bridge and Ballycowan Castle. The school closed in 1910 when the children moved up to the Ballykilmurray school.
The Ballykilmurray School was a two teacher school with a separate playground for girls and boys.This school closed in 1966 when a new 3 teacher school was built on the present site in Ballinamere.